Our Watershed Moment
A Campaign for the YMCA of Montclair Outdoor Education Center
The Y is proud to be a community builder and will create gathering spaces and programs that are vibrant, energetic, positive, responsive, and life-changing. By investing in a bold plan that addresses education, health, and community connections, the Y will bridge the gaps in gaining access to nature and achieving the many related health benefits for all who visit.
Renovating The YMCA Outdoor Education Center, home of Camp At The Lake will provide year-round access to outdoor health and wellness and recreation options for all ages who reside in our community. We believe that equitable access to this space will create a transformational impact for the communities we serve, both today and for years to come.
The YMCA of Montclair is pleased to announce a campaign to raise $1,500,000 to renovate the YMCA’s Outdoor Education Center. We are calling this campaign RE-IMAGINING CAMP AT THE LAKE: Our watershed moment.
This Project Will:
- Provide access to the outdoors for all
- Expand programming to meet the needs of youth, teens, families and active older adults
- Provide options for open-air health and wellness
In 2021 the YMCA of Montclair is launching Phase One of the RE-IMAGINING CAMP AT THE LAKE Campaign.
The major part of this phase is the construction of a year-round multi-purpose Constable Family Lodge. This 4,400 square foot building will provide critical space to bring outdoor programs and services year-round – significantly increasing the opportunity for more kids and adults to connect with the outdoors. Having a year-round site in nature allows the Y to expand the types of programs and services that can supplement the current prevention and support health and wellness programs available in the community.
Constable Family Lodge Description:
- 4,400 square feet, weatherized lodge
- Fully handicap accessible
- 2,200 square feet of multi-purpose space with break-out spaces
- Fully equipped kitchen
- Nurse’s station
- 4 single-use bathrooms
- 200 square feet of office space
Health Benefits of Nature
Health care experts say getting some Vitamin N – for nature - can reduce stress and insomnia, boost energy and revitalize health. A growing body of research links exposure to nature with therapeutic benefits.
Park Rx America (parkrxamerica.org) has shown through its data:
- Time in nature decreases anxiety and negative thinking and lowers levels of depression and stress.
- Time outside is associated with better cognitive development in children.
- Time spent outdoors lessens the effects of cardiovascular, musculoskeletal, mental health, respiratory, neurological, and digestive disorders.