The YMCA of Montclair proudly supports and offers the revised National YMCA Swim Lesson Curriculum. These lessons are offered year round for swimmers of all ages and skill levels. Our lessons emphasize water safety, skill and stroke development.
The Park Street YMCA has two heated indoor 25-yard pools with temperatures appropriate for each level of teaching and/or recreation.
The Geyer Family YMCA has one heated pool kept between 88 and 90 degrees.
Our complete swim lessons page is HERE.
Our program has six stages. In stages one-three students learn personal water safety and achieve basic swimming competency by learning two benchmark skills – swim, float, swim; and jump, push, turn, grab. Once they master the fundamentals, students in stages four-six learn additional water safety skills and build stroke technique, increase social, emotional and cognitive well-being, and foster a lifetime of physical activity that helps to prevent chronic diseases. Depending on age and skill level, our program child-to-instructor ratio ranges from 4:1 to 8:1 to ensure plenty of time in the water. We strive to foster a student-centered and caring atmosphere with well-trained professionals.
We offer group, private and semi-private lessons.
New students to the group lesson program or students who haven’t been in class for the past 6 months or longer wanting to enroll in stage 2 or higher must be evaluated for proper placement prior to registering. Stage 1 participants don’t need to come in for an evaluation.
We encourage early registration as classes fill quickly. Prorated lessons are available for those new to our swim program, space permitting.
AT THE YMCA OF MONTCLAIR WE OFFER ALL THINGS AQUATIC
- Group, Private and Semi-Private Lessons
- Parent & Child Group Swim Lessons
- Mission Swim Possible Special Needs Program, for children of all abilities with special needs who are ages 3-6 (stages one-four)
- Water exercise classes for adults: Aqua-Step, Aqua Fitness, and Aquacise
- Pre-Lifeguard Prep Program
- Swim Clubs and Advanced Stroke Clinic
- Teen Swim Lessons
- Lap Swim, Open Swim, and Family Swim
- Dolphins Swim Team, a year-round opportunity for competitive swimming in YMCA and USA swimming competitions for ages 6 through high school
- Adult Swim Lessons
- Adult Swim Clinic for those who want to improve endurance for competition or fitness
- American Red Cross Lifeguard Training and Water Safety Instructor Training
For more information on swim lessons fill out the contact form below.